WARNING! This URL (in the Main cluster) is no longer the authoritative source for this page; it has been moved to the VOS or ODS cluster as appropriate instead.
See Tim Haynes in case of confusion.
OpenLink Data Spaces (ODS)
ODS is a new-generation Distributed Collaborative Application platform for creating presence in the semantic web via Data Spaces derived from Weblogs, Wikis, Feed Aggregators, Photo Galleries, Shared Bookmarks, Discussion Forums and more.
What are Data Spaces?
Data Spaces are a new database-management technology frontier that deals with the virtualization of heterogeneous data and data sources via a plethora of data-access protocols.
As Unified Data Stores, Data Spaces also provide solid foundation for the creation, processing and dissemination of knowledge, making them a natural foundation platform for the emerging Data-Web (Semantic Web, Layer 1).
Why are Data Spaces important?
They provide a cost-effective route for generating Semantic Web Presence from Web 2.0 and traditional Web data-sources, by delivering an atomic data container for RDF Instance Data derived from data hosted in Blogs, Wikis, Shared Bookmark Services, Discussion Forums, Web File Servers, Photo Galleries, etc.
Data Spaces enable direct and granular database-style interaction with Web Data.
Standards and Protocols
Query Service Support
ODS supports a number of Query Services:
- XQuery/XPath over HTTP
- Full Text Search over HTTP
Publishing Protocol Support
ODS supports the following publishing protocols:
- Atom 1.0
- Moveable Type
- ODS-Framework - An OpenID- and Yadis-compliant Framework for building Distributed Collaborative Applications that are equipped with Single-Sign-On (SSO) functionality and auto-generated RDF Data Spaces
- ODS-Weblog - A comprehensive blogging platform supporting all the major publishing protocols (Atom, Moveable Type, Meta Weblog, and Blogger) and includes automatic generation of content-syndication gems in RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0, Atom, SIOC, OPML, OCS, and other formats
- ODS-Briefcase - A WebDAV-based Unified Storage Solution that incorporates automated extraction and management of metadata
- ODS-Feed-Manager - An RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0, Atom, OPML, and OCS Feed Aggregator
- ODS-Wiki - A Wiki Platform supporting the Atom Publishing Protocol, Twiki, MediaWiki? (Wikimedia), and Creole markup dialects
- ODS-Mail - A Web-based Email Client
- ODS-Calendar - A Calendar manager
- ODS-Bookmark-Manager - A Shared Bookmark Manager
- ODS-Gallery - Photo & General Image Sharing
- ODS-Polls - Polls Manager
- ODS-Addressbook - An Address Book Manager
- ODS-Community - Group/Community Mode service for all of the ODS-* applications
- ODS-Discussions - Web-based Newsgroups Aggregator and Reader.
ODS is pre-installed as part of the demonstration database (
demo.db) bundled with OpenLink Virtuoso Open-Source Edition.
If you are running the server with the demo database (typically on HTTP port 8890 and SQL Port 1112), simply point your browser to
See Setting up ODS for a simple configuration guide.
How Do I ...
- Get a Personal URI via ODS in 5 minutes or less!
- Create & Share Automatic Content Tagging Rules
- OAuth Generate Keys for ODS Controllers (Web Services)
- Give My Data Space Content Tags Meaning via MOAT Ontology
- Get Data into Virtuoso Quad Store via the ODS-Briefcase's special RDF Sink Folder
- Share my resources, bookmarks, contacts, calendar events and tasks?
- Publish my resources, bookmarks, contacts, calendar events and tasks?
- Import my bookmarks, subscriptions, contacts, calendar events and tasks, weblog posts?
- Export my bookmarks, subscriptions, contacts, calendar events and tasks?
- Use the Virtuoso ODS Ubiquity Commands??
- Use OAuth for authentication, SPARQL queries, Ubiquity commands?
- Manage FOAF+SSL support in ODS Data Spaces
- Set FOAF+SSL ACLs using the Virtuoso Authentication Server UI?
- Set <a>++ links?
- Register ODS User with OpenID2?
- Use the Virtuoso OAuth Test tool to manage my Data Space data?
- Use SPARQL to Query ...
Intranet Quick Start Guides
Third-Party Platform Integration
Screencast Demos / Movies
- ODS Screencast Demonstrations?
Weblogs & Commentary
CategoryODS CategoryOpenSource CategoryWebSite