Virtuoso ADO.NET 3.5 Data Provider
What is the Virtuoso ADO.NET 3.5 Data Provider?
Virtuoso includes an ADO.NET 3.5 data provider compatible with Visual Studio 2008+ and Entity Frameworks, that provides access to native Virtuoso data (SQL, XML, and RDF) in addition to any DBMS objects linked from external ODBC and/or JDBC accessible data sources. Known-compatible external data sources include Oracle (versions 7.x to 11.x), Microsoft SQL Server (6.x to 2005), IBM DB2, Sybase (4.2 to 15.x), IBM Informix (5.x to 11.x), Ingres (6.4 to 9.x), Progress (7.x to 10.x), MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Firebird.
This provider equips Microsoft .NET based applications, development environments, and programming languages with conceptual entity-based access to native and heterogeneous data sources.
- ADO.NET 3.5 compliance
- .NET Entity Frameworks compatibility
- Full integration with Visual Studio 2008
- ADO.NET Data Services compatibility
- LINQ to Entities compatibility
- High-Performance & Scalability
- High Security
- Support for Native and 3rd party RDBMS engines and Web Services
- Tested against all major .NET applications and development environments
- Support for Microsoft Silverlight versions 2 and 3
- Support for .NET RIA Services
How Do I Use It?
There are two installation types to consider.
- If you have an existing Virtuoso instance, or will install Virtuoso on a different host, you only need to install the ADO.NET Provider Client on the Visual Studio host.
- If you have no existing Virtuoso instance, you can install both the ADO.NET Provider Client and the Virtuoso Universal Server on the Visual Studio host.
The Virtuoso ADO.NET Provider ConnectionString property implements the
Sample Walk-through Applications
- Using Visual Studio 2008 to Build a Data Grid Form Application
- Using Visual Studio 2008 to Build an Entity Frameworks based Windows Form Application
- Using Visual Studio 2008 to Build an ADO.NET Data Services based Application
- Windows Form Application for accessing Virtuoso RDF data via SPASQL using the Virtuoso ADO.NET Provider
- Web Data Service Application for accessing Virtuoso RDF data via SPASQL using the Virtuoso ADO.NET Provider
- Creating a Silverlight Application to consume the service
- Creating A Simple .NET RIA Services Application to Display Data from Virtuoso
- Creating a .NET RIA Services Application that will Update Virtuoso Data
- Creating a Silverlight Application for Browsing RDF Data
- Creating an OData Publishing Endpoint using Virtuoso's ADO.NET Data Provider
- Accessing RDF Triples as an OData Service
Using Entity Frameworks, ADO.NET, and the Virtuoso Virtual Database Engine
Virtuoso's in-built virtual database engine for ODBC and JDBC accessible databases enables it to act as bridge between Entity Frameworks & ADO.NET based client applications. Thus, you simply link external databases into Virtuoso using the browser based Conductor UI or programmatically using SQL extensions. Once the external tables a linked/attached, they inherit the functionality prowess of Virtuoso, including complete compatibility with Entity Frameworks and ADO.NET 3.5.
We have target-specific guides for using Microsoft Entity Frameworks and
- Firebird data sources
- IBM DB2 data sources
- IBM Informix data sources
- Ingres data sources
- JDBC data sources
- Microsoft SQL Server data sources
- MySQL data sources
- ODBC data sources
- Oracle data sources
- PostgreSQL data sources
- Progress data sources
- Sybase data sources
CategoryDocumentation CategoryVirtuoso CategoryDotNET CategoryEntityFrameworks CategoryWebSite